My thoughts and opinion of Solo by Kwame Alexander Bj Allanah

 Solo by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess was published on August 1, 2017. Unlike any other book I've read, each page is in poetry style, with each page using poems to explain the story. The book is about a seventeen year named Blade Morrison, who is a musician. His foster mother had died and his rock star father struggles with drugs and addiction with dreams of making a comeback into the music industry. In reality, the only thing Blade shares with his father, Rutherford Morrison, is his passion for music. Blade has a girlfriend named Chapel, but her parents forbidden their relationship with assumptions of Blade becoming just like his father. Eventually Blade is faced with the realizations that he may lose Chapel forever, and the long-held family secret that his sister, Storm, has kept for so long and leaves him questioning if everything is true. The only thing that could save Blade from these disastrous events happening was a letter and a ticket to Ghana; which could either bring Blade the love and answers he has been searching for or him feeling even more off course from his family.

I had always felt as if I had read the book before but when I read it again for the second I realized there was so much more information I had missed out on.  When I had first read the book, I was very confused in the format it had been written in. The more I had read the book though, everything had made sense seeing as Blade was the main character, a musician, and the narrator in this story who was able to tie things perfectly together when journaling his life experiences. I liked the relationship that was shown between the father and Blade. Although the relationship between the two was not as connected as it was compared to other books I've read, in my opinion I feel that they had displayed the two characters very well. Blade's foster mother dying as well was key to the beginning of the book. It gave some suspense and questions that had me asking, " Who was the real mother?" or "How did she die?" that was needed in the beginning of the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and it gave a different view on book I've previously read compared to other one. Although, I feel as if the connection made between characters in this book could've been stronger though in my opinion.

8.9/10


Comments

  1. Wow! Kwame Alexander and Mary Rand Hess seem like phenomenal writers with minds as brilliant as the stars glimmering in the night. This review left me awestruck, as if frozen by the pure emotion you were able to weave into your eloquent writing. Your empowering words left me feeling like Blade, searching for my place in life. Chapel's parents can easily represent society, about how society is so quick to judge. And the book's format, the poetry, it's like a symphony of words that crescendo into a brilliant and harmonious whole. So Ngozi Allanah, I thank you for blessing our eyes with this beauty of a book review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, James, "symphony"? "Crescendo"? I really love how you're putting your musical expertise to use in all areas of life! You inspire me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, extremely insightful blog! You write as if you dipped your pen in the inkwell of the cosmos and transcribed the very heartbeat of the universe onto this blog! Your revelations on this book are testaments to the profound richness that Alexander and Hess have infused into their creation. Admittedly, I have not read a good amount of poetry books before, but this absolutely magnificent blog has expertly convinced me to place this intricate literary odyssey on my TBR list. Thank you Ngozi Allanah for this masterpiece of a blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really interesting. I'm always very into books told in unique ways and styles (POV, text formatting, etc.), and the characters seem to be quite complex and interesting, so I might have to check this "intricate literary odyssey" out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, this book review certainly is an insightful and interesting book review. It's interesting to hear your take on the character dynamics and the overall experience. The unique poetry-style format in "Solo" does take some getting used to, but it seems like it beautifully mirrors Blade's persona as a musician and storyteller. Thank you for this great book review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the book, this blog is a piece of art. Ngozi Michael Allanah has blessed us with another banger of a blog review. The title itself sets the note for an insightful and enthralling review with BJ carefully naming his blog "My thoughts and opinion of Solo...", and never has he been so right. For when BJ speaks, there are no opinions, there is the opinion, his only. His in-depth reading style can assure us that no other opinion will ever be valid. He doesn't need the plural. I love how you tell us readers about your second time reading the book, and how it was much more eye opening than your first time, this line is particularly relatable to any avid Kwame Alexander reader. Every single sentence its like a cocoon budding. At the beginning it's wrinkled and shriveled, however with every sentence of analysis you add on, the cocoon grows, till eventually a beautiful Monarch Butterfly emerges when you tell us your final rating of 8.9, and end your review perfect, just like scooping ice cream on a steaming hot slice of apple pie. Thank you BJ, and please personally email me when you release your next blog. I want to be there for another masterpiece. God Bless, and have a merry thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi BJ, I liked how you included the way your opinion about the book changed when you read it a second time, Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Fantastic Mr. Fox by Bj Allanah

The Keeper Review by Bj Allanah