The Lovely Bones Review: A heavy but amazing book

 

                Before I start this review, I have to be honest; I haven't finished this book, although I'm looking forward to finishing it during winter break. Luckily, I have still read a significant amount of the book, enough to explain what the book is about. 

                The story starts with the main character, Susie Salmon, taking a shortcut on the way home from school through a cornfield, where she meets her neighbor Mr. Harvey. He shows her an underground house that he made, which Susie thinks is cool but weird. He then rapes and murders her. 

                The rest of the story charts her view from heaven looking at the aftermath of the terrible crime. Originally, her family will not believe that Susie is dead, but after the neighbor's dog finds her elbow, the police reason that she is most likely dead. Susie has no power on the real world, and can only watch passively as her family is destroyed by grief and Mr. Harvey gets away with the murder. Her family grows suspicious of Mr. Harvey and tries to find evidence, still trying to come to terms with Susie's death. 

                I would not recommend this book for people looking for a light, happy read. This book is extremely sad and covers mature topics. However, this book still has an amazing, thought provoking storyline, and I would recommend this book for people not afraid to read something sad. This book also has a movie (Which I'm planning to watch after I read the book), so make sure to check that out if you liked this book. 

                That's all for this review, thank you for taking the time to read it.

                -Linden

Comments

  1. I watched the movie to this book! Thanks for this nice and brief introduction to the Lovely Bones, Linden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My thoughts and opinion of Solo by Kwame Alexander Bj Allanah

Review of Fantastic Mr. Fox by Bj Allanah

The Keeper Review by Bj Allanah